Important informations

Training at the LDI

How to apply

New and Prospective Students

How to apply 1

To train as a graduate student at the LDI, you must:

  • be enrolled in a master’s or a PhD program of a graduate school;
  • have a supervisor who is appointed as a Scientist/PI at the LDI as well as a graduate school.

Since LDI researchers are affiliated with McGill University, new and prospective students apply for entry into their graduate studies program through McGill.

The first step is to find a potential research supervisor through the Find a supervisor section of our website. Then contact the selected researcher directly to discuss a potential training opportunity. As many researchers receive hundreds of inquiries from students, it will be important for you to have a good understanding of the researcher’s work before contacting him or her.

Once a researcher agrees to be your supervisor and you decide to work together, there are two possibilities:

  • Your supervisor can contact the LDI Administration to start the application process, at which point McGill University will advise you on what is required and which forms to fill and your supervisor will send you the paperwork required for registration at the LDI; or
  • You can submit your application directly to McGill University, asking for the supervisor and location of training at the LDI. Demonstrating your interest in this way could help you get an early placement at the desired laboratory or research group at the LDI.

If you have questions, please contact the LDI Trainee Committee or Lorraine Chalifour, Associate Director for Training.

International Students

If you are an international student or fellow, you will need the following before you can begin working and doing research at the LDI:

1. Study permit

You should apply for a study permit in your country of origin before arriving in Canada. You must apply online, whether you’re outside of Canada or already in Canada. If you want to study in Quebec for longer than 6 months, you also need an attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) issued by the Government of Quebec. Your university can tell you how to apply for the CAQ. If Immigration and Citizenship Canada approves the study permit, it will also issue to you either a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).

2. Social Insurance Number

Once you have a valid study permit, you can apply for a nine-digit Social Insurance Number (SIN), which is required to work and receive government benefits in Canada.

3. Bank account

You must open a bank account so LDI payroll can deposit your pay or stipend. You will require your SIN and/or passport with a study permit and proof of address.

4. Health Insurance

As a McGill University registered international student, you and your accompanying dependent spouse are required to participate in the compulsory McGill International Health Insurance (IHI) plan which is administered by International Student Services. All international students are automatically charged the annual IHI fee upon registration at McGill University in the fall and winter terms. The insurance provider is Medavie Blue Cross.

For more information on how to apply for immigration documents, how to use the IHI, etc., please consult the following resources: